Friday, December 11, 2009

Break out your kazoos--I just graduated pre-school!

Training ended today! We had our last Ukrainian class Thursday morning, and today was the LPI (Language Proficiency Interview), plus one more official thank-you visit to the local administration—and now we’re free! The LPI was a 10-minute conversation, kind of anti-climactic after 2 months of training (but I did feel satisfied when she said my conversation skills were especially impressive since I arrived 3 weeks late), and then we had tea with the mayor. On Monday, a bus comes to take us to Kiev for the 3-day Swearing-In Conference, and we also find out then where we’ll be living for the next two years. Next Thursday I’ll officially be a Peace Corps Volunteer, after swearing to uphold the U.S. Constitution to the best of my ability in front of the Ambassador. Then all 100+ new volunteers head off to our various permanent sites, cut off from the crutch of our cluster-mates, together with whom we’ve spent every day of training. Just in time to be alone for Christmas! Good thing I came to Ukraine armed with digital copies of my favorite clay-mation Christmas videos! Maybe I’ll make my students watch them, since December 25 is a regular workday here and I’ll probably be teaching.

I still as yet have no idea what the particulars of my site-placement will be, so future internet access is TBD, but a little note about this blog and why I’m writing it: part of Peace Corps service is to provide asked-for technical skills to further the development of the host country, but another goal of Peace Corps is to facilitate cross-cultural understanding—both at home and abroad. So I envision this blog as an interactive forum, where my friends and family can learn about Ukraine and help me introduce Ukrainians to American culture, rather than a space for me to send thoughts off into the ether. To that end, I ask you all to contribute to this online conversation. I can keep a journal for myself, so I’ll only write online if this information is interesting and useful for you—let me know what you want to hear!

5 comments:

  1. well thats exciting!, ya know, i was thinking... its too bad the ukraine is not in the world cup next summer, that would make for one hell of a party. what do you do during the next three days besides swear and stuff?

    p.s. this is paul on amanda's computer:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathleen - I have been invited to join Group 38, which is coming to Ukraine in March 2010 - I was hoping to touch base with some current volunteers for your thoughts and advice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, all that swearing in seems so official and a little scary. I can't believe that you picked up another language s quickly. That is pretty amazing!

    I am waiting to hear where you will be placed though. Part of me wants you to be comfortable in some more developed place with pleny of internet, but the other part of me wants you to be in a very small village somewhere so I can hear about the different more sheltered life there. Either way I will be excited to hear more.

    Good call on the Christmas movies. I hope one of them is Rudolph...I have some thoughts on the movie that you hopefully would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a request as far as what I'd like to hear about the Ukraine. As you might know, I thrive on the absurdity of life and all the humor it entails. Would you mind providing more details about the more absurd aspects of Ukranian culture...you know, those small little things that you can't really pick up on without being there and experiencing the country for yourself? For example, do Ukranians dance with underwear on their heads after going to church? Do they hock loogies after finishing a meal? Do they have an insatiable desire to eat pickled cabbage for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and beyond? These are the things I like to know. Tell me something funny and/or absurd and I will bask in it for days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well this makes today the day that you're all official. congratulations! i'm excited to learn where you'll be placed!

    also, i agree with nick - i hope one of those movies is rudolph. it's my personal favorite christmas movie, tied with the muppet's christmas carol.

    also, i read this a couple of days ago but i'm just getting to comment now. in the interim i have since seen a kazoo marketed as The World's Greatest Kazoo. This is the one i'll bust out for the occasion, fyi.

    much love!

    ReplyDelete